Wednesday 7 October 2015

Greece: Message from Evi Statiri about her release from prison


















The first thing you realize once you are released is that your eyes no longer stumble into walls, railings and dividers. They can wander and see the sky without seeing barbed wire. Also, your footsteps are no longer numbered. Twenty up to the wall of the courtyard, twenty to return to your cell. Certainly in my own case the walls of the courtyard have expanded to a kilometer from my house and I am not allowed to have any contact with my partner...

But anyway, I feel my release is just the first victory against the fear and injustice they want to impose upon us as a condition of life...

None of this would have happened if it were not for the development of a dynamic multiform solidarity movement from every corner of Greece that gave me the strength and optimism to realize that history is not only written by the rulers but also by the rebels...

A big thank you to all those known and unknown comrades who broke the terror of the omnipotence of power.

A big thank you to all the doctors at Nikaia General Hospital and especially to Spyros Sakkas and Olga Kosmopoulou who supported me from the first moment with warmth and altruism.

Of course I do not forget those left behind in prisons and in cold cells...I will always be by their side and will treasure all the moments we shared until we meet again...

Because as long as there are prisons nobody is free...

FREEDOM TO ALL POLITICAL PRISONERS

FREEDOM TO THOSE WHO ARE IN CELLS

Evi Statiri

(via Athens IMC)